Monday, November 21, 2005

Show and Tell: A Photo Essay

I visited at least 50 schools all over Iraq.


These wonderful children greeted American soldiers at a school near Khanaqin close by the Iranian border.


The teachers could hardly contain the kids.


Iraqi kids love to talk with soldiers.


These kids have better school manners than I ever did!


Education is paramount in Iraq.


“Too much math!”


In this region, young girls and boys attend the same school.


Lost in a dream.


Missing a tooth?


Iraqi kids, showing they can count in English: I always felt like a movie star.


Some Iraqi girls are as confident as the boys.


Iraqi commanders consoling a child after an “event." From the news yesterday “Bomb in Khanaqin” I wonder how many of these children I may never laugh with again.


These children and their families are our allies.